Major Construction branch headed by Director of Irrigation (MC) and comes under the purview of Regional Development & Construction sub department. Under the Director of Irrigation (MC), branch consist of Chief Irrigation Engineer's, Irrigation Engineer's, General Office staff including Drawing Office Staff functioning efficiently to achieve development goal & objective of the Irrigation Department.
The main functions of the MC branch are, Construction of Irrigation and settlement projects for the conservation diversion and distribution of water under gravity and lift Irrigation to new and existing lands for cultivation by farmers and food crop productions. In addition to above incorporation of hydro power as for as possible in the construction of Irrigation and settlement project to enhance the electrical energy resources.
The Construction activities are carried out through the Project office headed by Project Directors, Chief Residential Engineers appointed by Director General of Irrigation. Most of the works are carried out by directly with Irrigation Department staff on force account.
- Approval and sanctioning of detail cost estimate of major projects (Daduru Oya, Rambukkan Oya, Yan Oya, Morana, Digili Oya, Kalugal Oya, Kumbukkan Oya).
- Finalizing of contract documents of above.
- Establishment of PD/CRE/RE's Office
- Ensuring the implementation of approved work programme, physical and financial controlling including monthly meetings and submission of progress to relevant authorities.
- Revision of costs arising from modification of proposals and designs during execution.