- Development of a National Water Resource Master Plan to achieve the long term economic, social, environmental and development goals of the country.
- Preparation of river basin plans for selected under developed river basins
- Compilation of Hydro-Meteorological Information System.
- Development of Geographical Information System (G.I.S.) of existing water infrastructure and other water related information incorporating remote sensing data.
- Updating and Reviewing developed Water resources master plan time to time based on an analysis of updated estimates of present and future water demand and supply in the 103 river basins in the country.